2016 was a really big year for my business. I took a maternity leave, became a Certified ConvertKit Expert and increased my revenue over 2015.
I thought I’d tell you what worked last year, and share where I’m headed for 2017.
But first, let me tell you how I got started - in case you’ve never heard my story:
I started freelancing in late 2013 with a few, small projects. Running social media strategy for a political campaign, building a website for a local nonprofit, and doing some grant writing for another. In March 2014, I took on my first virtual assistant clients. And in March 2015, I went full-time in my business.
2016 would be my 2nd year as a full-time small biz owner. Not only was it my 2nd time around, but I also wasn’t pregnant anymore! ;)
My son was born at the end of 2015, so for much of that year I hadn’t been feeling great. That meant I had to limit the time I had for client work and content creation, which just simply limited my income potential.
But I started 2016 as a new mom, ready to grow my biz. And I definitely did!
So here’s what I’m most proud of from 2016:
- Figured out how to balance baby, biz and childcare!
- Self-funded a maternity leave (Took 4 weeks, but didn't go back to my full client load until 6 weeks.)
- Took an actual vacation with my family (1 week in Ocean City, Maryland)
Services & Digital products:
- Launched and sold my eCourse for the first time in January!
- Became a Certified ConvertKit Expert
- Started a Facebook group and reached 100 members
- Was a Featured Writer at the Freelance to Freedom Project (Wrote 3 posts on mompreneurship, quitting your day job and growth on Twitter.
- Had a post land on page 1 Google search results, so my average unique page views have doubled from my 2015 average. (Even with hardly ANY new blogging in 2016.)
- Passed 3,000 followers on Twitter
Here's what worked financially:
Putting $ back into my biz:
- Was able to invest in my own Virtual Assistant.
- Invested in some serious tools for my biz (ConvertKit, Edgar, Grum, Azendoo)
Pricing & income:
- My first month back from maternity, made 25% more in my business than I ever had.
- Raised my rates 2 times
- Nearly doubled my gross income from 2015
- Won lifetime membership to the Freelance to Freedom Project School after participating in a challenge Leah was running
- Served clients in 16 U.S. States & 4 countries
I still did all of this, even with taking maternity leave and another 3-week, self-paid leave in November. (Needed to take this because my son had surgery.)
What I need to improve on for 2017:
- Reestablish consistency with blogging (I banked 4 months worth of blog posts while I was pregnant. After I ran out of that, I barely blogged last year at all.)
- Redefining packages and offerings (I’m pivoting on what’s offered, and how I’m offering it)
- Finalize digital products (I have several eBooks and courses outlined that I just have to bring to paper. Need to just set the time aside and do it!)
I hope this post answers some questions you have about my biz, and what my vision is for 2017. And if I could leave you with one piece of encouragement, it would be to start writing your successes and challenges down.
I do this every month. I look ahead at the coming month, and set my intentions. And then I review what happened in the month we're leaving behind. It really helps me to stay focused on what matters. If you need help with that, check this out:
This post contains affiliate links. Any purchases from those links may result in me being paid a commission. I only share products and programs I believe in.